Saturday, September 18, 2010

I Am Back...

Finally!

I waited until I was sure the old injuries weren't going to flare up again. But I think I can safely say now that I am back! Back on the roads. Back on the trails.

Running again!!!

I've been running 3 to 5 times a week for two months now. I'm just starting to get back some aerobic capacity. My pace is improving. I'm dropping a few pounds. I feel great.

I want to give myself plenty of time to rebuild (and I need to drop a few more pounds that I gained over the last three years while I was injured). So I'll add mileage very slowly through the Fall, then add some extra cross training/core strengthening over the Winter. In the Spring then I hope to focus on some speed, run some shorter races. Then if all goes well, go for marathon number six in the Fall of 2011.

To recap the past three and a half years (three injuries and one divorce later) ...

After marathon number 5 (Hyannis), as I was recovering and then rebuilding, I tore the meniscus in my left knee (injury number one). Confirmed by MRI, but the orthopaedic surgeon did not want to do the surgery. He wanted to give it a little more time. A few months later it was feeling much better -- it healed on its own after about a year.

Then as I started running again, I tore the meniscus in my right knee (injury number two). [They were likely both injured by my previous training, but the left one went first.] The right knee took over two years to heal. It was never quite as bad as the left one, but it lasted longer. Perhaps I wasn't as religious about the physical therapy and strengthening with the right knee.

Over the last six months or so there were a number of starts and stops. Also I had issues with plantar fasciitis in both feet (injury number three).

But time heals. And the divorce, as painful as it was, is now fading into the past. And I've been running regularly now for almost two months. Today's run around Fresh Pond was at a decent pace (decent for me anyway). Tomorrow will be a 5 mile run.

Not back to fast yet. And not back to far yet. But things are definitely looking up all around.

C-Ya

1 Comments:

Blogger Lara said...

Wow Kurt, that is a long long road to recovery. So glad that things are coming together - I know how good that can feel when it finally starts to happens! Here's to forward motion!!

9/20/2010 3:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home