Saturday, January 09, 2010

Turning the Corner (and a haiku)

footfalls seek traction
on snowpack hard as ice.
moonlight shows the way.


Over the years there have been plenty of times I've had to significantly cut back, or even stop running for a bit. Those times were due to various factors. Sometimes work just encroached too much. Sometimes it was due to injury (like this last time). Sometimes life just happens. But every time I return to running. It's a part of who I am. And every time I return to running, it's a struggle.

For the first X number of weeks, I'll just feel like I'm slogging through one crappy run after another. To be honest, I feel like I'm "jogging" rather than "running". Don't ask me the difference -- it's subjective. When I'm "running" I feel energized, fulfilled. I feel more alive in the world (See my song -- "Runner's Blessing"). But when I'm "jogging" I'm just trying to "get through it". It seems to take longer. I feel how out of shape I am. My joints ache. I feel my age.

But then there's always that moment. That run where things start clicking again and I'm back to my "running" self. I turn the corner.

Today I turned the corner.

Just like that. I went out for a run and I was "running". The pace felt quicker. It all just felt right. All was good with my running self (even though I'm much slower than I was before the injury -- for now...). [I should also note that I started taking glucosamine again for my joints -- and they felt great.]

And so, I think I can safely say now that the injury is healed (at least sufficiently to run regularly). Still having some issues with plantar fasciitis (going to have to tape my foot again tomorrow), but other than that, all is well.

Just wish it wasn't so damn cold out!

C-Ya

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home