Friday, November 27, 2009

Back on the Road!

Yes, it's true. I am running again. Barely.

After being sidelined for (essentially) two and a half years, I am running again. I know enough to take it very easy and build up very slowly. This will be the challenge for me.

To recap...

After my 2007 Hyannis marathon, and after a month or so of taking it easy, I was starting to increase mileage again when I was sidelined by a tear in the meniscus in my left knee (though it was several months before it reached the point where I could no longer run and needed to seek medical advice). That injury lasted about a year.

Then in the Spring of 2008, as I was starting to run regularly again, I tore the meniscus in my right knee. (Same pain, same symptoms, other knee) I'm guessing that both tears were the result of building my marathon mileage too quickly (I was running marathons at the rate of two per year). The right knee took more like 18 months to reach the point where I could start running again.

And just to add insult to injury, several months ago I gave up my car so now I walk a whole lot more. (I live and work in Cambridge, so it's actually rather easy to get by without a car.) But all the new walking resulted in a wicked case of plantar fasciitis (right foot).

But, I learned how to tape my foot to provide the needed additional support (to alleviate the inflamation in my foot). It really did the trick. I was able to immediately run on it with no pain.

So...now I begin the very slow process of rebuilding my running. [No predictions regarding future racing...yet.]

No, I'm not down about my present condition. I'm just filled with gratitude that I can run at all and am appreciating every mile of every run now. [And I hope to be blogging a bit more here now that I'm running again.]

C-Ya

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home