Thursday, May 14, 2009

My Knees Are...

A) Older than the hills

B) Killing me

C) A biomechanical nightmare

D) All of the above

If you chose "D", you would be correct! As if recoverying from torn meniscus in EACH knee was not enough, now my left knee has what appears to be a medial collateral ligament strain, AND, my right knee is exhibiting some symptoms of runner's knee. I ran a total of 5 miles last week and they hurt again.

I have a theory.

I've been working out extensively on an elliptical trainer. I suspect the elliptical motions may have overdeveloped certain muscles and when I began running again, they stressed my knee ligaments in new ways.

I'll be backing off on things for a little while (yet again). Maybe I'll just swim for a little while. Perhaps do some cycling. And then I'll try running again (without the elliptical). Eventually I'll run again.

C-Ya (in a few weeks)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Callie Durbrow said...

Cross training is excellent for runners to eliminate the repetitive motion and impact. Swimming is great and weight training will be a key to your success as well. Good luck!

7/09/2009 9:00 AM  
Blogger Anne said...

I thought of you during a guest speaker at our Saturday run. You're so right about the biomechanics part. It's been awhile since you updated us. Hope it's because you're too busy running!!

7/17/2009 12:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home