Thursday, July 05, 2007

Where was Kurt?

day lilies sway
under whispering oaks;
splashes of summer


[Had to start with haiku -- composed on my run on Tuesday]

So where has Kurt been? Well, on vacation for one thing. Nova Scotia in particular -- mostly Cape Breton Island. That place is freaking amazing. I'll be going back. Next time with a bike. That place is made for bicycling. I'll post some pictures soon.

But that only explains about a week or so of my absence. What gives?

Injury recovery.

I've had a chronic hamstring (low-grade) injury since BEFORE my last marathon. I developed some sort of plantar fasciitis after the marathon. And to top it off, I started having some pain in the backs of my knees.

I backed off. I did more cross-training. I took two weeks off (that did not really help). So here's where I am now...

The hamstring injury is gone. (Yeah!)
The knee pain is pretty much gone. (Yeah, again!)
The plantar fasciitis is still lingering a bit. (Boo!) But I think I have it under control.

After the two weeks off, I went out for an easy run. Within a block my heel was hurting like hell. After a bit, it sort of stretched out and I finished the run OK. This week, on Tuesday I did 7 miles at an easy pace. I stretched my foot every way I could think of before I started. Virtually NO PAIN! Just to be complete, I iced it at my desk for a while after the run. Yesterday, walked several miles (down to the Charles River -- Harvard Bridge -- Boston's amazing 4th of July celebration) -- no pain in the heel. Today will probably be about 6 miles. We'll see how it goes.

And it needs to start going, cause it's time to start building back up for my run at a BQ in December.

C-Ya

3 Comments:

Blogger Audrey said...

welcome back kurt! yeah vacation! booo inuries :(

you sound like me. i'm always discreetly icing at work/school. i keep an icepack in the freezer there :)

happy 4th!

7/05/2007 3:08 PM  
Blogger E-Speed said...

glad you're back! Hope that foot stops nagging you soon!

7/10/2007 10:29 AM  
Blogger Lara said...

That's alot of injuries to be managing all at once! Glad to hear that things seem to be mending up.

7/15/2007 8:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home