Friday, April 20, 2007

Evening Run (and a haiku)

twilight's last glow
reflecting across the lake
-- tomorrow's hope

Yesterday I grabbed my gym bag as usual when I went out the door in the morning. Unfortunately, I forgot to put my running shoes into the bag. I had taken them out to dry after my previous run in the rain. So I worked straight through lunch and figured I'd leave work at a decent time and run from home. But of course I ended up working until 7:00. By the time I got home, it was getting dim. Not to be deterred, I laced up and headed out for 5 miles (twice around Fresh Pond). When I started running, and looked west across the pond at the last light of evening reflected in the still water, I was just stunned. It was so beautiful. The haiku was complete before I finished the first loop.

The hamstring has definitely improved. I can still feel it after a run, but it is much better. I'm looking forward to a short run tomorrow, and then 9 miles Sunday morning along the Charles River.

And so the mileage starts to increase. If all goes well, I'll be running the Boston Run to Remember on Memorial Day weekend.

C-Ya

3 Comments:

Blogger joy said...

The poet Bernadette Mayer has this writing experiment that she recommends, and you might like it. It's a 14 block sonnet--walk or run 14 blocks, and compose a line at the end of each block. Your post also reminds me of the Buddhist jogging meditation, and it's getting me pumped to leave work, go home, and go for a run! Thanks for the motivation! I'd forgotten that special way that mind-body come together in a kind of creative nexus sometimes.

4/20/2007 1:24 PM  
Blogger D said...

Good news on the hamstring. Great Boston photos. It would be awesome to watch the elites run Boston.

4/20/2007 4:03 PM  
Blogger Kurt in Boston said...

Running is my meditation. Thanks for stopping by.

And yes, if I can't be running in the marathon, the next best thing is watching it.

4/23/2007 9:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home