Saturday, January 20, 2007

Brrrr...

It's cold.

OK, I have no right to complain. Especially when I look at the Midwest, and all the snowstorms the Northwest has gotten. We've had it pretty easy here in Boston. But Winter has finally arrived. Virtually no snow yet, but it was really cold this weekend.

Saturday was in the low 20's (I think) and very breezy, so that sent the wind chill down. I did my easy 5 miler around Fresh Pond, but I just felt chilled to the bones for the rest of the day.

Then Sunday morning arrived. I got up for my long run. I had 17 planned. I was getting dressed and had already had my normal pre-long run toast with almond butter, when I checked the weather. It was 12 with wind gusts to 23 mph. That sent the wind chill down to about -2 or -4. That was it. I drew the line. I really didn't want to spend 2 1/2 hours out in that weather. Went back to bed. It was supposed to warm up a bit later in the day so I decided to wait.

Around 3:00 I finally headed out, dressed in full regalia. Running pants over shorts, jacket over heavy shirt, full face wool hood and fleece cap on top, gels in my pockets, and carrying an insulated water bottle. It was still pretty cold, but it worked out well. I was overdressed for the first 6 miles (and took off the wool hood), but after that, it was about right (and I put the hood back on around mile 7). I put in 15 miles -- felt like 16 or more with all that running gear.

51 miles for the week.

====================

The Daily Challenge (300 ab reps/day for 100 days):

20500 down, 9500 to go.
I have passed the 2/3rds mark.

Rock hard abs? You know the guy on the cover of Runner's World? Well, my abs don't look like his. But they are feeling pretty solid (under those last few pounds I need to lose).

C-Ya

4 Comments:

Blogger E-Speed said...

Sounds cold! Looks like the ab challenge is going well!

1/22/2007 11:36 AM  
Blogger runliarun said...

Ooouch! The Wall Street Journal, a couple of months ago, ran an article on marathon runners who shlepp themselves to remote corners of the world for some additional challenge. India, to run in mud, or Antarctica, for a frost bite. Sounds like you can stay at home for the time being :).

1/23/2007 11:09 AM  
Blogger D said...

Yeah -don't complain too much - we still have ice everywhere and it is about 5 degrees today. Nice job on the mileage!!

1/28/2007 7:59 PM  
Blogger Faithful Soles said...

My name is Robert Key and I am a runner from Houston, Texas. I saw your blog listed when I was looking through the RBF directory and very much enjoyed reading some of your entries. I especially enjoy your city and was blessed enough to have qualified for and run Boston in 2000, 2001 and 2002. I was in the midst of trying to qualify again this year when severe shin splints in my left leg set me back.

With respect to your blog, I have a web site at http://www.faithfulsoles.com that is inspirational stories for walkers, runners and athletes of all ages and abilities. I recently added to the site a categorized and searchable Running Blog Database where members of my site can find a blog of interest to them based on other walkers, runners or athletes of similar abilities, goals and interests. To my knowledge it is the only one of its kind specifically for walkers and runners on the internet. I would appreciate it if you would take a moment to put a link to your blog in our Running Blog Database (in less than a week of actively promoting it, we have already had over 60 bloggers from around the world link their blogs to it). Just click on "Link your running blog" under "Free Features" from the home page.

If you want to learn more about my running background, just click on "Meet Robert" from the main menu , or to learn more about my involvement in the running community, click on "Faithful Soles in the news" in the left column under "Weekly Features". I also have a blog that I just started at http://faithfulsoles.blogspot.com, but most of my running information is on my web site. Also, if there is anyone else in your blogger network that you think would be interested in listing their blog, please feel free to pass this information along to them. Thanks and continued good luck in your training.

2/06/2007 6:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home