Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Nothing or Double

cool wet fields of hay
hidden birds emerge
- whisper across the sky

Lia asked if I composed my haikus during my runs. The answer is yes, and no. Although they are all inspired by my runs, only occasionally will a complete haiku will come to me during a run. Usually I experience some connection with something I encounter on my run. A particular place, time, feeling. Something about it will resonate with me. As well, a few words will be suggested. A phrase or two. Then usually later in the day I'll recollect the image and the words and then construct a haiku that (hopefully) maybe suggests something even deeper. Only a very few times have I been able to piece together an entire haiku during a run. I think it's probably better to just "experience" it on the run, and then later, with some additional introspection, flush it out, polish it.

Today was a nice run on mostly muddy trails. My shoes are drying next to my desk right now. I also included 10 X 100m strideouts in the last couple miles. Total of 8 miles.

OK, so beansprout has taken on the challenge of running 100 10K's in 100 days. She is already more than halfway through. Very impressive - that's twice as many days as Dean Whats-his-name. But wait! Now Olga is taking on a daily challenge. For 50 days (among other things) she is doing 300 ab reps per day. Like I said in the comment I left there, I was feeling pretty good about moving up to 150 ab reps 3 days per week.

So... since it seems I have just over 100 days until my next marathon, I will take on the following challenge:

[Doubling Olga's challenge]
300 ab reps per day for 100 days

This is gonna hurt for a few days...

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

oww.oww.oww.

so maybe this will motivate me to do more than 5 minutes every three days. this is SO not my favorite activity.

11/14/2006 6:47 PM  
Blogger Anne said...

I'm with Audrey. I feel the soreness already just reading your challenge.

You should take before and after pictures. If you aren't sporting a six-pack by then,....

11/15/2006 2:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, thanks for stopping by my blog. Dean Karnaze is now running home so he leaves me in the dust! But...I love the feeling of accomplishment that these challenges we set for ourselves bring. Here's to rock hard abs!

11/15/2006 2:18 PM  
Blogger E-Speed said...

oh goodness. I am amazed if I get 30 a day!

11/20/2006 4:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home