Monday, November 06, 2006

Not Easy (and another haiku)

bare limb juts over
cold still water - suspended
between blue skies

Saturday morning was a little chilly. I did an easy 5 miler - a couple times around Fresh Pond. A long bare branch suspended over the water in Fresh Pond inspired the haiku. Many dogs (and their respective owners) were out enjoying the brisk air. Per my oath -- no watch, no time, just easy running.

Sunday morning was my first long run of this cycle.

I should explain that I consider 7 to 9 miles to be a medium length run, 10 - 13 miles to be medium/long, and 14 or more miles to be long. So this was my first long run of this training cycle. Just because of how the mileages line up around the Charles River, I ended up doing two different loops (Elliot Bridge to Harvard Bridge - 7.2 miles, and Weeks Bridge to Harvard Bridge - 5.2 miles), plus the round-trip to the river (1.8 miles), for a total of 14.2 miles.

I can't say it wasn't painful.

"Pain is weakness leaving the body" became my mantra for the last 3 miles. Oh, if I had slacked off on the pace towards the end it might not have been as tough. But I made sure I did not let up one bit. I ran consistently and strong right to the end. I did the second half slightly faster than the first half (negative splits), and finished strong. Time was 2:05:27 -- 8:50 pace.

I ended up with 43 miles for the week (1 more than planned). That was because on Friday when I was doing my cross-training, when I got to the end where I was to do 10 minutes of rowing to finish up, someone jumped on the rowing machine. I didn't want to wait around, so I did 1 mile on the treadmill instead -- thus the extra mile.

This week will be 44 miles, including a tempo run tomorrow. Today I'm just a bit stiff from yesterday's long run so the cross-training will feel good.

C-Ya

4 Comments:

Blogger D said...

Nice pace for the long run Kurt. You are definitely getting your mileage up!

11/06/2006 1:34 PM  
Blogger runliarun said...

That's an awful lot of miles. Did you compose the haiku while you were running or afterwards? Sometimes I wish I could write while I run. A few brilliant things emerge, among all the other worthless clatter and clutter.

11/07/2006 11:08 AM  
Blogger E-Speed said...

thanks for the comment Kurt! The whole election thing is frustrating. All I know is that if Blackwell wins something sure isn't right with the system!

Glad the long run went well even if it was a bit tough!

11/07/2006 1:59 PM  
Blogger Olga said...

first time back to long/fast run is always painful...something I din't think of before as I never had a break:) Good going on the program!

11/09/2006 4:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home