Monday, November 27, 2006

Back From Holiday Break

We've had company staying with us for the past 5 days so I haven't had much opportunity to write anything. But I have been keeping up with (almost) everything else. Let's start with the daily challenge.

Daily Challenge Status (300 ab reps per day for 100 days):
Day 13: 3900 down -- 26,100 to go
Thanksgiving was a challenging day. We got a late start, Anita and I were cooking all day, and I didn't get around to doing them until after dinner (before pie). Anja joined in and the two of us cranked out 300 ab reps while the rest of the family and friends harrassed us. All in good fun.

Last Tuesday was my second tempo run. I ended up cutting the total length of the run by 1 mile (8 actual versus 9 planned), but still did the "Lactate Threshold" pace for 4 miles (per plan). I took about 10 seconds off my pace from my last one. The four miles were covered at an 8:04 pace.

Wednesday was an easy 5 miles and then I missed my first run of this cycle on Thanksgiving Day. Got up too late, had too much to do, too much to eat, it was cold and windy and rainy, blah, blah, blah. I let it go.

We did have a great Thanksgiving feast. Anita and I did the turkey (she always does the stuffing). Our out of town friends made appetizers and vegetable dishes. Anja has perfected the smashed potatoes. Kai was coerced into making an orange-cranberry sauce. Anja's boyfriend, Ben, made two pumpkin pies. I also made a gingered-pear pie. Had a Thanksgiving dinner that just couldn't be beat.

Friday was a very nice 10 mile run along the Charles River, and then Saturday was another easy 5 miler.

Sunday was my first serious long run: from home (near Fresh Pond) to the Charles River (Elliot Bridge), to the Harvard Bridge (Mass. Ave.), out past the Fens to the Riverway trails, out to (and around) Jamaica Pond, back on the Riverway trails, past the Fens to the Harvard Bridge, along the river back to Elliot Bridge and back home. 18 miles. 9:10 pace. And it did NOT suck.

Today (Monday) was a recovery day and I did just a bit of cross-training (rowing, abs/weights/cycling). My legs are still a little stiff, but they feel pretty good.

This is a recovery week, so my mileage is cut back a bit. I do plan to do another marathon goal pace run on Sunday (14 miles).

C-Ya

4 Comments:

Blogger D said...

I love it when 18 milers and up DON'T SUCK!!!!

11/28/2006 1:57 PM  
Blogger Anne said...

Your description of that dinner is making my stomach growl -- or is it groaning when considering all those situps?!

11/28/2006 3:24 PM  
Blogger Ellie Hamilton said...

NICE GOING!!!

I better start with, say, 30 situps for 30 days.....

Gingered-pear pie, MMmmmmm.....

11/28/2006 8:21 PM  
Blogger Olga said...

Good going on the challenge! It did get easier, but I was surprise it takes quite some time if doing correctly:) And 18 miles - oh, lots! Another month to build up for me...

11/30/2006 8:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home