Monday, October 09, 2006

Too Cold; Too Hot; Just Right

OK, so in my last post when I flippantly asked if anyone wanted to join me for a run in Central Park Sunday morning, I wasn't expecting so many of you to show up. Wow, such a big response!


...


Apparently, there was a NYC Marathon 18-mile tune-up race in Central Park. They started about 20 minutes before I did. The leaders passed just as I started (20 minutes into their race). The racers were doing 3 6-mile loops around the park. I did 2 loops (12 miles). I got lapped by the winner just a bit before their finish line (I was about 2 miles into my second loop). The guy went by me so fast -- amazing.

This One Is Too Cold

The first time I went to NYC I tried to run in Central Park but they had a record blizzard that weekend. Something like 27 inches of snow. I didn't even make it out to the park.

This One Is Too Hot

The next time I went to NYC, I got to the park. It was freaking hot. This was last July. I did 15 miles and it really wiped me out.

This One Is Just Right

Yesterday morning was just right for running. A nice and cool Autumn morning. I ran outside the race course markings and didn't even drink any of their gatorade (there are sufficient water fountains in the park).

I averaged 9:14 pace for the 12 miles. I had hoped I would be a little faster, but the park does have its hills and they did have some impact. But I felt very good after the run.

Interestingly, my split for the first 6-mile loop was 55:24. My split for the second 6-mile loop was 55:24. Don't think I could do that again if I tried; but glad to see I ran consistently.

Will post again with some pics from other activities of the weekend.

2 Comments:

Blogger Tammy said...

Haha.. didn't know you had so many New Yorker bloggy friends, did you?

Remember to email me your address if you want your prize! :)

10/09/2006 6:46 PM  
Blogger Olga said...

Happy b-day, Kurt! I remember that 18 mile tune-up in NYC, i did it too:) Fun!

10/10/2006 11:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home