Sunday, October 15, 2006

Relaxing on Sunday (Mostly)

Apart from a few miles of my run this morning, it's been a pretty relaxing day.

This morning I did 12 miles around the Charles River. Everything was going fine until I got to the B.U. bridge. It was there that I realized my run was not going to be the relaxing medium/long run that it usually is. It was that time of year again. The weekend of one of those walks/strides for the cure (I'm guessing Komen breast cancer).

It wasn't too bad along the Cambridge side of the river. Apparently that was because it hadn't actually even started yet. The walkers I saw were just walking to the start on the Boston side. By the time I rounded the Science Museum and was running back along the Boston side, the paths were totally filled up with people. They had just started the walk and I was attempting to make my way through these thousands of walkers.

Don't get me wrong. I thing what they're doing is great. I just wish they would at least stay on the paved paths and at least leave the little single track dirt paths to the runners and bikers. We could have dealt with it. But no, they've got to fill up the entire space between the river and Storrow Drive. They seriously slowed me down and at one point I just had to hop over the guard rail and run on Storrow Drive. This was not the safest move but the traffic was light and I didn't feel like walking for a mile in the crowd.

It was kind a chilly when I started (wore a long sleeve shirt for the first time this Fall), but I warmed up adequately within a couple miles. Despite being slowed down by the walkers (reduced to walking several times), I still averaged 8:58 for my 12 miles. I figure without the walkers I probably would have averaged about 8:54 (guessing I lost about a minute to them). It was still a very good run and an average pace a good 15 seconds per mile faster than last week.

Early this afternoon then, we had Audrey over for brunch. She was a good sport and didn't complain about my huevos rancheros. We had a very nice time, and good conversation, until she had to head off to study. Every RBF'er I've met has been so nice and she is no exception.

Tonight will be our normal routine of soup, salad and popcorn.

C-Ya

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey! Yeah I have had a long absence,
unfortnuately I was unable to run my marathon. Long story but I finally updated my blot so you can check it ou there. I miss the chilly weather you are having!

10/15/2006 9:47 PM  
Blogger Olga said...

You mean running 12 miles is relaxing:) Yeah, man!

10/16/2006 4:54 PM  
Blogger Kurt in Boston said...

Yeah! Running 12 miles is relaxing -- except when you have to dodge around 3000 walkers for about a mile and a half. The rest was great.

Seriously, 12 is relaxing. For me, anything up to about 14 can be relaxing. At 14 and beyond, it becomes a long run and those take more of a toll. Probably because I've expended my glycogen stores and I'm relying on what I'm taking in, plus just plain grit and determination to finish.

10/16/2006 7:02 PM  
Blogger D said...

It is a wonderful cause but I think they should be trained to move over to allow runners and bikers to get through them. I train with a very large group and they are all very courteous and yell to everyone behind them that there is a runner or biker coming and everyone shifts to one side. Nice job on your run Kurt!

10/19/2006 9:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home