Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Back in Training

Yes, it is true, I am back in marathon training.

After a 6 1/2 mile run on Friday on some new trails (compliments of another runner here at work) at an 8:27 pace, a day off on Saturday, and another 12 mile run Sunday morning (about a 9:00 pace), I have begun another marathon countdown.

And which marathon is it that's 18 weeks away? (cue drum roll...)

Hyannis!

OK, that's gonna be cold, isn't it?

Yep.

But maybe not as cold as you might think. In the last 6 years, they've had one race with temps in the low 20's, two in the low 30's, and three in the 40's (three years ago it reached 49 degrees). Sure it's a dicey proposition, but the alternative - Austin - had an ice storm last year, was almost 80 degrees a prior year, and has a lot more hills in it. I'm stayin' local for this one.

So after building a pretty solid base of about 35 miles per week, I've started my training.

Monday was cross-training (after Sunday's medium/long run) -- rowing, cycling, abs and weights.

Today was an 8-mile medium (aerobic) run (8:37 pace) with ten 100m strideouts.

I feel a little tired this afternoon -- and that feels GREAT!

5 Comments:

Blogger Lara said...

I think that actually sounds like a great time to have a marathon! I'd way rather run in the cold than the heat (we'll just knock wood for no blizzards).

10/24/2006 8:04 PM  
Blogger D said...

Uh yeah Kurt - when the photos of the race show snow and runners with hats, gloves and layers of clothing - I'm guessing it will be cold. Cool that you've started your training. YOu've done well building your base so easing into marathon training will be almost effortless. Looking forward to following your progress.

10/25/2006 9:17 AM  
Blogger runliarun said...

I never ran in cold weather, and it will probably take some trial and error to figure out what I need to do. But in a way I am looking forward to it. Not minding the cold somehow makes you more part of everything - the weather, the sky, nature untamed, which we usually avoid.

10/30/2006 5:11 PM  
Blogger E-Speed said...

I think cold is better than hot. Especially if you have a history or cramping :) Train in cold conditions and figure out your running gear and I think you can still do well despite the cold!

10/31/2006 12:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the comment on my blog so I could find yours! I think it's great that you're planning a cold weather marathon. I look forward to hearing about the training that you've begun.

11/01/2006 5:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home