Wednesday, October 04, 2006

34:43

My 4-mile "recovery" mile this evening. That's about 8:42 per mile.

"Recovery" my ass. It's that damn watch.

I guess it's kind of a good news/bad news thing. I got a new battery today, installed it, and now as soon as I'm running with the watch, I'm pushing myself. The first two miles were actually at an 8:30 pace. I slowed down a bit in the second half.

Was it a good run? Yes -- the weather was beautiful and I was running strong. No -- I should have run more slowly. Yesterday was a medium pace 6 miles. This was supposed to be a recovery run. You eejit!

Recovery runs and watches don't mix. Unless you're running for time and not distance. So here is my oath for my upcoming marathon training session:

{hand upon a stack of marathon shirts}

With the family of running bloggers as my witness, I, [state your name] "Kurt in Boston", do solemnly swear that I will not wear a watch, or record my time, on any recovery run.

My recovery runs will be relaxed and easy, and I will not push myself to keep up with the young turk who just passed me, or to pass that old geezer who has no business running faster than me, or to impress that attractive runner who just flashed a pretty smile at me.

If I keep this oath faithfully, may my tempo runs be strong, my intervals fast and on the mark, and my long runs consistent, may my muscles, with the proper nutrition and rest, recover quickly and rebuild to a stronger state, and in my races may I be fleet of foot, running at my true potential; but if I swerve from it, or violate it, may the reverse be my lot.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

worry schmorry!!! it fun to go fast. no worries!!

10/05/2006 12:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you would have to rename your blog:

Kurt, runs moderately and far

:)

10/05/2006 12:32 AM  
Blogger D said...

Hilarious post - but I challenge you not to pick up the pace to impress that cute female that just smiled at you while flying past you....that's a tough one! I guess even tougher is the 90 year old that flies past! I agree with the watch - however - I've made the first step by letting go of the Garmin - I just can't release the Polar!

10/05/2006 9:50 AM  
Blogger Ryan said...

Funny stuff =) I run along the Charles during lunch and try to mix in some easy runs but they always turn into tempo runs as soon as I meet another runner...I let my competitive nature get the best of me...lately I found carrying my handheld water bottle and dressing very un-runner like is a good way to slow myself down, I was even thinking tube socks =) I need to take the same oath...See you on the roads of Boston!!

10/05/2006 3:57 PM  
Blogger runliarun said...

Look who's talking about not pushing onself, he, he...

10/06/2006 10:25 AM  
Blogger Kurt in Boston said...

Yeah, but...

Yeah, but...

Yeah, but...

Like I said, no more pushing on the recovery runs. And I mean it!

Now I'm off for a medium 6-mile lunchtime run (WITH my watch).

10/06/2006 11:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home