Saturday, August 19, 2006

Has it really been that long???

Whoa. I've been away for a while. Ok, so I was on vacation. And this week has been another hell-acious work week. But I have gotten back into training for my next marathon. And with it has come a running low, a running high, and stuff in between.

The low.

First week of training. Not this last week, but the week before. I figured, "no problem getting the mileage back up." I'd been running a few times a week. Low mileage, but still running. It was a nice break. But every workout seemed to take a lot out of me.

And then there was last Sunday's medium/long run...

It was only supposed to be 12 miles. How hard could that be? Well, let me tell you. My legs were so fatigued by 10 miles that I was seriously considering just hanging up on the next marathon. What happened? By mile twelve, I had to stop and walk. I was that tired. I began to think there was something wrong. Maybe all this training over the last couple of years has just left me fatigued. Maybe I didn't take enough time off. Maybe I cut back too far on my running.

But I knew one thing. Never judge a season (or a marathon cycle) by a single workout. Or even a single week.

So on to week two. And this wasn't going to be easy. I had another 80 hour work week ahead of me (they pretty much suck). But I was determined to continue with the training program. I figure if the fatigue continues for another week or two, I'll think about bagging it and regrouping. But then came...

The high.

Tuesday's schedule called for 8 miles with 10X100m strideouts. I did the workout after working about 9 hours (and had another 2 hours to go). It was amazing. It was getting dark when I started and so I ran it on the back roads around Concord (near work). Rolling hills for almost 7 miles. And it was one of those runs where you're just there -- in the moment -- and time is obliterated. You hear your breathing and footfalls as you're running and you just feel at peace. It's a cliche -- but one with the universe. Everything in its place. And then the strideouts -- just flew through them.

And stuff in between.

Thursday called for 10 miles. After working about 10 hours (with another 3 to go), I again took off through Concord. The run started out pretty good, but I was pretty tired by the last couple miles. That's OK, though. It's been a long week. I never really expect to get two fantastic runs in a week. (Oh, on Wednesday, I took a break from work and did some cross training -- rowing, cycling and weights.)

Friday was a day off (from working out). I also "only" worked 8 hours and Anita and I went to a movie ("Scoop" - a decent but not great Woody Allen film). And I got a good night's sleep.

Today, Saturday, was my last long workday (12 hours). I got in an easy 4 miler. Tonight I plan to get some good sleep again, and then tomorrow will be 13 miles.

It's got to go better than last week.

5 Comments:

Blogger E-Speed said...

man I hope work lightens up for you. Its hard to get in good runs when you are exhausted!

8/20/2006 7:20 AM  
Blogger Anne said...

Glad to hear you're still out there, and still running. I was beginning to wonder if work or the weather had done you in.

8/21/2006 6:58 PM  
Blogger D said...

It'd be so nice if all the runs were like the great run you described. You are certainly putting in a ton of hours at work on top of all the running.

That Woody Allen film looks decent enough, I just have REAL ISSUES with going to see any of that Perverts films.

8/24/2006 3:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Kurt. BOOO! So much work! I am glad you are still getting to run though. And some furniture has finally arrived over here! The boxes will be making their way home shortly :) I'll be in touch. Thanks again!!

8/24/2006 6:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have had so many ups and downs with my marathon training I totally understand what you are going through. But you are right to not judge by a single workout, especially on the first week or two. your body will adjust...

9/01/2006 9:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home