Sunday, July 16, 2006

Who Will Coach Me for 10 Days?

OK, people, this is not difficult. I need a workout schedule for the next 10 days. I'm too busy to think about this for the next 6 days. This is where you come in. Simply come up with a workout schedule for the remaining days. I'll write a haiku for the person who comes up with the schedule I use.

Thank you, so far, to Turnip, Anne and Tammy for suggestions and references.

But I'll make it even easier for you. Just copy and paste the following template into a comment and make your suggestions. I've even filled in some parameters and my last few workouts. Here's what last week looked like (a week in which I worked 80 hours -- next week I will probably only do 60 hours at work -- I shouldn't have to miss any workouts):

Sunday - Medium 10 miles
Monday - Rest
Tuesday - Missed
Wednesday - Intervals: 1 mile warmup, 6 X 800m in 3:20/2 minute recovery, 1 mile cooldown (6 miles total)
Thursday - Rest
Friday - Fartlek (speed-play) 5 miles on trails
Saturday - Missed
Sunday - Medium 9 miles

Here's a template to use:

Monday
Tuesday (speed workout?)
Wednesday
Thursday (speed workout?)
Friday [Fly to Phoenix in the evening]
Saturday [On vacation now]
Sunday (speed workout?)
Monday
Tuesday (sharpening? strideouts?)
Wednesday - 1 mile race (probably at night)

[Hint: I have not done any intervals shorter than 600m this year -- I probably should now (400's, 300's). Also, last year I ran a 6:53 mile -- I think I can beat that.]

Who will get the haiku?

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fun idea! Gotta love blogging, huh? I have a hard enough time coaching myself, so I'll pass on to you what I use. runnersworld.com has what's called SmartCoach. (It's on their home page.) Anyway, you fill in some info. and it gives you a schedule. It's great!

Good luck finding your coach! :)

7/16/2006 2:56 PM  
Blogger Love2Run said...

Mmmm, 10 days to get ready for a 1 mile race?
Monday - drink beer
Tuesday (speed workout?) a few strides then 10x200, ice-cream for dessert
Wednesday - easy run 4-6 miles
Thursday (speed workout?) how about 10x 1min hard, 1 min easy? during a 5 miler
Friday [Fly to Phoenix in the evening] - get up early for 3-4 mi
Saturday [On vacation now] more beer
Sunday (speed workout?) more ice-cream
Monday
Tuesday (sharpening? strideouts?)
Wednesday - 1 mile race (probably at night)

Actually all you have time for is to work on your form and turnover so try to do a bunch of short stuff. A few long intervals at race pace might help the muscle memory on race day too. Good luck!

7/16/2006 7:09 PM  
Blogger Kurt in Boston said...

I've been asked a couple times what I have been doing -- so here's the short version.

Marathon training for the last couple of years -- peaking around 56 miles per week (50 just a month ago). Recent speed workouts have been longer intervals (600m to 1 mile intervals). I've been doing strideouts (6 to 8) during a workout at least once per week. I was just tapering for a summer marathon and had to can it.

The only stipulation is each workout for the next 5 days should be under an hour -- I am absolutely buried at work.

30+ miles for the week is no problem. Mileage and endurance are not the issue.

7/16/2006 9:42 PM  
Blogger Tammy said...

Ok, sorry... super busy, but here's a quicky for you!...

Wednesday - Run a hilly course. Heart rate in zones 2-3 on uphills. Otherwise heart rate in zones 1-2. Avoid heart rate zones 4-5. Take it easy on the downhills.
Thursday - easy warmup, then 15 mins plyometrics (jump rope, run up stairs, jumping jacks, jumping explosively from full squatting position, jumping from leg to leg, etc.), followed by super easy recovery run.
Friday - 30 mins easy effort.
Saturday - moderate effort and duration. No intervals. Run how you feel.
Sunday - Strides. Warm up 20mins. Then 6-8x20 seconds on slight hill. Count steps--30+ in 20 seconds. Cool down with heart rate in zone 1. Total workout = 45 mins.
Monday - recovery run. 3-4 miles, easy.
Tuesday - ramp up for event. warmup easy 1 mile, then 4 x 100 meter strides, easy 1 mile cooldown. Hydrate. Rest.
Wednesday - main event. hit it hard!

Good luck!

7/18/2006 6:52 PM  
Blogger Tammy said...

You there? I hope one of us didn't kill you with our workout plans! haha. Tomorrow is the main event... let us know how it goes. :)

7/25/2006 3:40 PM  
Blogger Anne said...

Yes, Kurt. Some of us are starting to wonder if you survived your training schedule and came in last week under 6:53. Do tell!!!

8/02/2006 8:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home