Thursday, June 01, 2006

Rye-by-the-Sea 10K Race Report

Well, I've been busy and so this entry has taken a while to get posted. But here it is...

The Rye-by-the-Sea races (in and around Rye, New Hampshire) include a duathlon (5K run - 18 mile bike - 5K run), a 10K road race, and a 5K road race. It was the only 10K I could find in the area for the weekend. My goal was 48 minutes and I didn't make it. I ran 49:48. In fact, my splits were almost identical to the James Joyce Ramble I did last month. How could that be? These are very different courses, aren't they? Well, they do have something in common.

The James Joyce Ramble had a series of nasty hills starting after the 2nd mile. It turns out the Rye-by-the-Sea 10K is flat (and fast) for the first 2 miles as well, then it's one long gradual uphill to the end. I would have thought that I could have run faster with a gradual uphill. I guess not.

I averaged 7:45 per mile for the first 2 miles. Pretty much on pace. And then I could hardly tell I was slowing down on the gradual uphill for the rest of the race. The remainder (except for the last half mile or so) was over 8 minutes per mile. I averaged right around 8:01 for the entire race (James Joyce was 8:00). Final time was 49:48 (3 seconds slower than James Joyce). Not what I was hoping for. Maybe hills just drag me down. Maybe it was the warm weather (it was cool for the first 2 miles running along the coast, but it warmed up about 10 degrees as soon as we headed inland). Maybe it's all the marathon training. At least I'm consistent!

The other odd thing is how the race prediction tables don't work for me. Based on my 5K race time, I should be able to run a 47:30 10K, but I ran more than two minutes slower. So it seems to me that I should use the more conservative 10K time as a predictor of my marathon time. Which means my predicted marathon finish is 3:54 (8:55 pace).

After the race, Anita, our son Kai, and my mother (who was visiting), and I all had a picnic on the beach. Quite a few people were out on this great Memorial Day weekend. After our picnic we stopped in Salem, MA at the Peabody Essex Museum to check out the "Painting New England in Summer" exhibit. It's an outstanding collection of American art depicting this area of the country. It included a painting of Cambridge that looked like it could have been set on our street.

Sunday morning it was back on the trails for 16 miles along the Charles River (two loops). That was the last of the "medium-long" runs before the marathon.

Total miles for the week: 40

C-Ya

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi...those race calculators are fun...and dangerous :) good hilly race!!

i love the name Kai.

6/01/2006 2:42 PM  
Blogger Anne said...

I've never found the race calculators work for me either. They don't take things like heat, humidity and elevation into account. I think you turned in a darn good time, even if it fell below your expectations.

6/01/2006 4:38 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

The race prediction calculators haven't been very accurate for me either. Hopefully I'll be within 30 mins behind your predicted finish. Enjoy your taper!

6/01/2006 8:08 PM  
Blogger David said...

I've also found the running calculators to be overly optimistic at longer distances, but I think it's supposed to be an approximate measure of *potential*, guess I just need to put in more miles, work harder.

I should check out that exhibit at the Peabody Museum, great place, haven't been there in a few years.

6/02/2006 10:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home