Monday, June 19, 2006

Next Race

OK, so I trained for this last marathon, then on race day was hammered by heat exhaustion. I was not acclimated to the conditions (even though it wasn't terribly hot, it was quite humid). I ended up walking most of the last 7 miles. Which means I didn't "run a marathon". It was more of a brutal training run, followed by a long walk. Which means (as Elizabeth suggested) I could still run another marathon (with a short build up and taper).

My first reaction after this last race was to take a little time off to regroup. But since I've already done the conditioning to run a marathon, it would be a shame not to run one now. So what I need to do is crank the mileage back up for a couple weeks, acclimate to the heat, taper, and run a summer marathon.

Yesterday I ran 12 miles on the Charles River trails. It was pretty darn warm. Most of my runs last week were in fairly warm temperatures. I'm drinking a LOT of water. I've cut back on my caffeine (haven't decided whether or not to eliminate it altogether). I'm almost one week into my heat acclimation. The running feels good -- no current issues.

And it turns out there is a unique New England summer marathon coming up on one of my free weekends in July. The Paul Bunyan Marathon in Bangor Maine.

Gonna do it.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great idea Kurt. Wish you every success.

6/19/2006 8:32 PM  
Blogger Tammy said...

Oh my. That's not what you said the night after your marathon! Don't let that crazy Elizabeth drive you to it ;)

Although, I would LOVE to go to Maine. I think I read too many Stephen King novels as a child/young adult. I've never been to Maine, but I think my dream home is there... somewhere.

Good luck. Do what feels right... but listen to your body, not your mind. :)

6/19/2006 10:53 PM  
Blogger Kurt in Boston said...

It's true, right after the marathon I was thinking I would take a little time off, but really, I feel great.

By the time I was flying back the next day, it was on my mind to seriously consider finding another marathon (before that crazy Elizabeth mentioned anything). But I figured I'd at least see how the week went as I began running again. And it felt great. Of course I'll be listening to my body this week as I rack up some tall miles. And I'm not going to register until after I see how my long run goes this Sunday. But things are looking good right now.

Or maybe the heat has gone to my head.

6/20/2006 6:36 AM  
Blogger Anne said...

That's the spirit! I was going to suggest the Sommerville Road Runner's Race around the Lake in Wakefield in late July. It's a night-time marathon. I'd planned to do it before my unfortunate accident. Bangor sounds like a nicer location.

6/20/2006 4:29 PM  
Blogger Kurt in Boston said...

I looked at the Somerville race around the lake, but I'll be out of town that weekend.

6/20/2006 4:58 PM  
Blogger D said...

Good luck Kurt. You know your body and whether you can handle another marathon so soon. Although you made a great point when you said it was more like a training run due to the 7 miles worth of walking.

6/21/2006 10:24 AM  
Blogger E-Speed said...

Awesome! Good Luck!

Crazy? Me?

6/24/2006 8:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home