Friday, June 23, 2006

A Little Sticky

I've been getting some good "heat-acclimation" runs in lately. On Tuesday I ran 6 miles on the trails near work at lunchtime. It was 84 degrees and 50% relative humidity. Averaged 8:52 per mile (the first mile was a too-fast 8:25 -- I just felt really good). I also measured my sweat rate (occasionally I will weigh myself before and after a run -- usually at least a 6 mile run). My sweat rate in those conditions was just over 4 pints per hour. That's some good sweatin'!

On Wednesday I ran in the morning. I did a 4 mile warmup on the trails again, then went inside to the treadmill to do intervals. I did 4 X 1200m at 7:20/mile pace with 2 minute recovery between each one. Then there was about a 1 mile cooldown. It was supposed to be a 2 mile cooldown, but I had to get to work so I cut out a mile early. Total of 9 miles.

Thursday was a day off, though Anita and I walked a couple miles to Harvard Square and back home. We love being within walking distance of the square and everything around it, as well as the Charles River.

This morning (Friday) was a great humidity-acclimation run. Temperature was 70F and the relative humidity was 85%. Ran 10 miles along the Charles River trails. Felt great. Absolutely drenched with sweat when I got back. I've been drinking water all day long.

Tomorrow will be a short recovery run, then on Sunday I'll do a long run (18 to 20, I haven't decided yet).

Stay cool.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home