Monday, June 26, 2006

21 Miles in the Rain

...and it was just wicked pissah!

But I'm getting ahead of myself. After Friday's 10 mile run in the morning humidity, on Saturday I did an easy 4 (plus) miles. There was a break in the rain and I took the opportunity to get an easy run in without getting soaked. I don't think there was more than just a very occasional sprinkle of rain.

Now, I was worried about how far to go for my long run on Sunday. Mainly, of course, because I just did a marathon two weeks prior. Even if I did walk 7 or 8 miles, it was still quite an effort. I decided that I would start out assuming I would do my 21 mile route, with the option of bailing out anywhere along the out-and-back to (and around) Jamaica Pond. That way, if things weren't going well, I could cut the run to 17 or 18 miles.

And then there was rain.

I woke up early Sunday morning to the sound of rain. As rain was forecast on and off the whole day, I figured there was no point in attempting to avoid it. I got up and got ready and did some stretching. By the time I was ready to go out the door, the rain had stopped. I began my run down to the Charles River and out to the Museum of Science. I was able to stay dry (relatively dry, it was a bit humid and I was sweating) for about 5 miles. Then the rains came. Except for the loop around Jamaica Pond, and much of the last mile or two, it pretty much rained continuously. By mile 7 I was absolutely drenched. But I was feeling pretty good. I tend to have a tough stretch around mile 11 or 12, but I decided not to cut the run short and did the loop around Jamaica Pond. (As an aside, I think around mile 11 or 12, roughly 90 minutes into a run, is where I begin to run out of muscle glycogen stores and my body has to transition to other sources of energy.) Around mile 13, as I made my way back from the loop around the pond, down the Riverway trails, in pouring rain, that old friend the runner's high hit me -- big time. I was picking up the pace just a little bit, running strong through the pouring rain, and smiling. The few other runners I passed along that stretch probably thought I was nuts, but at least one of them managed to smile back (who says Bostonians never smile at strangers?). The feeling lasted all the way back to the Charles River and most of the way back to the house. Around mile 20 it kind of felt like I was hitting the wall, but that only lasted about a half mile and I finished the 21 miles strong.

Far and away my best long training run ever. And as they say in these parts, it was just "wicked pissah".

And so now begins another taper as I prepare for the Paul Bunyan Marathon.

C-Ya

4 Comments:

Blogger 21st Century Mom said...

Amazing. I hate running in the rain and you made a party out of it!

6/26/2006 3:33 PM  
Blogger Anne said...

I'm starting to smell a strong comeback in Maine next month.

6/26/2006 4:54 PM  
Blogger Darrell said...

21 miles two weeks after a marathon, now you have my attention and my respect. Nice job and taper away!

6/26/2006 11:17 PM  
Blogger mouse said...

yay for taper! I'm super excited to watch how this marathon unfolds, because you are way more than ready for it!

6/27/2006 11:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home