Friday, May 12, 2006

Working Out Hamstring Tightness

Tuesday morning, it was back to speedwork. After a 3 mile warm-up I did 6 X 600m at 7:20/mile pace with 90 second recovery, and ended with a 2 mile cool-down, for a total of 8 miles. Then at lunchtime I drove into the city for some massage therapy.

Parking in the city (especially near Copley) always seems to be an issue, so I ended up driving to Coolidge Corner and taking the T to Copley. Seemed to work out pretty well. Parking was much easier to find around Coolidge (and I think it was probably cheaper). Anyway, the massage therapist was very good. She specialized in sports massage and got right down to business with my tight hamstrings. It was not always comfortable, but by the end I felt like we had really worked out a lot of the muscular issues going on with my hams. My next run would be interesting.

Wednesday evening I went for a medium effort 11 mile run. I stretched well prior to the run, and then ran from work out to Concord and beyond a bit and then back. There was some misting and a little light rain -- nice conditions for running, actually. As soon as I started running I could feel the difference in my hamstrings. I had gotten so used to the tightness I forgot what it felt like to run without the tight hamstrings. I did about 9:00/mile pace for the first 7 or 8 miles and then slowed a little for the last few miles. Afterwards I could feel the tightness again in my left hamstring and so did some gentle stretching.

Thursday was a rest day and I spent time stretching and doing some ab work.

Friday (today) was another easy day. 4 miles with 6 X 100m strideouts. I can still feel the tougher workouts from earlier in the week, but believe I will be rested sufficiently for a good race tomorrow morning! I will be racing the 5 mile race at Fresh Pond in Cambridge. It should be fun. It's mostly flat, just one small hill on the 2.5 mile loop (twice around for the 5-mile race).

C-Ya

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey...do you go to Boston Bodyworker? Who do you see there? I see a woman there (in Copley) too.

5/12/2006 3:56 PM  
Blogger E-Speed said...

Sounds like you need to make stretching a priority! And massage :)

Glad that she was able to work out some kinks for you!

5/12/2006 4:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home