Monday, May 08, 2006

A Bit Sore Now

I decided to get out early for my run on Friday. Too bad I didn't verify exactly what the workout was supposed to be. For some reason I had it in my head that I was to do 11 miles. And that's what I did (along the Charles River out to the Longfellow bridge and back along the other side). But when I went to log the run, I saw that the plan called for 12 miles. (Doh!) No problem, I'll just add another mile onto Sunday's 17 miler and make it an 18-miler. Anyway I averaged right around 9:00 per mile for the 11 miles.

Saturday was a 5 mile recovery run. Twice around Fresh Pond. I was a little stiff but it felt good. A little bit slower (9:12 per mile). The question that comes to my mind is, "Am I running too hard on my recovery days?" I need to be conscious of taking it very easy on those recovery runs (especially now as the marathon is just about a month away).

Sunday morning is a key workout in my plan (way to go -- adding another mile onto it). Plan calls for a 3-mile warmup followed by 14 miles at marathon pace (then I add another mile onto the end for a total of 18). Kind of like a long slower tempo run. This workout gives you experience running for a significant period of time at your marathon pace, but doesn't really wipe you out (like a real marathon).

I run the warm-up at about a 9:30 pace, then somewhat evenly run 14 miles at 8:53. Yeah, it's a little slower than I would have liked, but I was running into a head wind whenever I was running inbound along the Charles. On the plus side, I do have confidence I can at least hold that pace for an entire marathon (which will get me under 4 hours). Also, I think I've got my hydration/nutrition/electrolyte issues under control. I took in about 16oz of fluid, 200 calories, and electrolyte supplements every hour. I still have another 17-miler and a 20-miler to go before I start tapering so that will give me some more practice with those elements.

Total mileage for the week: 51

Now today (Monday) I am a bit sore. A little more speed in a long run really makes a difference -- takes a bit more out of you. Since my hamstrings are also feeling quite tight, I've scheduled some massage therapy for tomorrow. I don't do it very often (can't afford to), but I know when I need it.

C-Ya

2 Comments:

Blogger E-Speed said...

Hope the massage helps!

It is so hard to take it easy on recovery days!

Sounds like if you do you workouts at the right pace and get in a good taper you will be more than ready for this marathon!

So exciting!

5/09/2006 8:43 PM  
Blogger D said...

51 miles! Nice!

5/10/2006 8:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home