Thursday, April 20, 2006

Tempo Run Kicks My Ass

All I could think of halfway through yesterday's tempo run was, "this run is kicking my ass." My plan called for a 12 mile run with 7 miles at tempo pace. Now normally the pace would be in the 8 to 8:15 range for me, but seeing as how it was a long tempo run, I figured I'd be happy with 8:15 to 8:30. Yeah, well, that would have been nice.

Temperatures were soaring.

Actually, it was only about 72 degrees, but it felt pretty warm to me. I carried a 24 oz bottle of water with me and finished it well before the run was over. I did the first 3 miles at a (too quick for a warm-up) 9:03 pace. As I started the 7 mile tempo part of the run I felt great. First mile went by in about 8:04. In retrospect, too fast for the temperature and my lack of energy stores. I'd been drinking a fair amount of water through the day, but hadn't eaten nearly enough. The next mile was mostly a gradual uphill and I hit it in about 8:20. Again, too fast for uphill in 70+ degrees. By the third mile I was nauseus as everything was taking its toll. I was pushing myself through miles 4 and 5, not knowing how long I could hang on. At 5 and 1/2 miles I hung it up and took a half mile break. I walked briefly and then continued at a very easy pace. After a half mile recovery, I picked it up again for another mile at tempo pace. It was all I could do to manage an 8:37. The last 2 "easy" miles after that were long, difficult, and I was out of water.

Afterwards, sitting at my desk, I could see that I hadn't eaten enough prior to the run. I started the run about 2pm and had only had an apple since breakfast around 8am. Also, since I was running for more than an hour, I really should have carried energy with me - sports drink, gel, something. And of course I started out too hard.

Running continues to be a learning experience. And this is a lesson I need to learn. I've made mistakes like this before. My next marathon will be another crash and burn if I don't get the nutrition/hydration/electrolyte balance figured out. The good thing is that I have plenty of opportunities to figure this stuff out. Every week has its challenging runs. Tomorrow is another 12 miler and Sunday is a 20. My goal for those two runs is to run consistently and to not bonk.

C-Ya

2 Comments:

Blogger E-Speed said...

Good Luck on the 20 for Sunday!!!

4/20/2006 2:38 PM  
Blogger D said...

Heat and humidity SUCK.

4/23/2006 12:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home