Monday, April 10, 2006

Marathon-specific Workout

Sunday's schedule called for a "marathon-specific" workout. It was a total of about 15 miles. I chose a single long loop around the Charles river down to the Longfellow bridge at the East end, and the Beacon St. bridge in Watertown at the West end (plus to and from the river). Temperatures were a bit chilly early Sunday morning - 36F according to yahoo. But since I knew it would warm up, I went without gloves - just shorts, long sleeve (heavier) technical shirt and cap. And a water bottle filled with Gatorade.

The first 3 miles were an easy warmup. I took it very easy - almost 10 minute miles. Then it was 12 miles at marathon pace. In my training for my previous marathon, I did some marathon pace training, but it was limited to maybe the last 5 miles of a long run. This was different. After a warm-up, doing 12 miles at marathon pace was a great workout. I ran very even splits. I actually sped up slightly in the second half. I did the 12 miles in 1:44:03 - 8:32 per mile (the first 6 miles were at 8:34 and the last 6.2 miles were at 8:30). It felt great. About a month from now I'll do another such workout, only longer - it will be 17 total, 15 at marathon pace.

Sunday's 15 miles made a weekly total of 47 miles. Mileage was a bit less than the previous two weeks (50 and 54) because there was a sort of "mini-taper" prior to the marathon-specific workout.

This next week is a recovery week and I'm looking forward to the break (only 43 miles) before hitting the toughest week in the schedule (a 55 mile week).

C-Ya

3 Comments:

Blogger Kurt in Boston said...

Eight weeks from this coming Sunday!

4/10/2006 4:52 PM  
Blogger Anne said...

"Only" 43 miles?! Dang, Kurt.

4/10/2006 6:30 PM  
Blogger Tammy said...

wow a 55-mile week! My longest week pre-marathon was just over 40. Guess that's why I stumbled across the finish line, eh? hehe

4/11/2006 9:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home