Monday, April 03, 2006

Big Mileage Week

...for me anyway.

After Wednesday's great run out to Walden Pond, Thursday was a recovery day and I did an ab workout and a little cycling and rowing. Friday was a lactate threshold run of 3 miles easy, 6 miles at LT (tempo) pace, and 2 miles easy for a total of 11. It was 73 degrees (F) -- and I was dragging in the heat! You would think a former desert rat like myself could handle it no problem. I used to run mid-day in the summer in Phoenix -- 110 degrees. OK, so I was probably running half this kind of distance. Still, I seem to be de-acclimating from the heat. I might have to start doing more runs in the morning once it gets really warm.

Saturday was an easy 5 miler -- except it wasn't that easy. Friday night, Anja and Ben came up from NYC and I went and picked them up at the bus station at 1:00 a.m. Then I got up at 5:30 a.m. to get my run in so that we could head out early enough for breakfast. I had just found out about "sugaring" and as the season is just ending we thought it would be fun to drive out to one of the "sugar houses" and have some fresh maple syrup (doin' the New England tourist thing). It was great. Piles of pancakes and french toast drenched in real maple syrup. mmm. carb-loading for Sunday's long run.

And Sunday was a long run. And it was another short night. We all went to a concert Saturday night and so didn't get to bed until after 11:00pm. Then, of course it was also time to "spring forward". Great timing, 'cause I needed to get back from my long run in time for church. So I was up around 6:00am to eat, and I was out the door around 7:00am. As I was tired of doing "two-loop" long runs, I figured out a single long loop route. From the house I ran down to the Charles River (by the Elliot bridge). From there I ran all the way down to the Science Museum and around to the Boston side, and as far as the Harvard bridge. From there, I ran down to Commonwealth and then West a bit to find an overpass over the Mass. turnpike and then to the Fenway. From there it was mostly trails through the Fenway and the "Emerald Necklace" all the way to Jamaica Pond, around the Pond, and all the way back to the Harvard bridge where I continued on the Boston side of the Charles river to the Elliot bridge and then back home. Those last 4 miles along the Charles really sucked because the wind had picked up quite a bit and I was alreally quite tired. Those were a few slow miles. Total distance - 20 miles.

Total miles for the week - 54. That was my highest mileage week ever.

Today (Monday) was a (well-deserved) rest day. I did an ab workout and just cycled for 5 minutes to move my legs a bit, but other than that I'm just recovering. Looks like I'll be running in the rain a bit this week...

C-Ya

2 Comments:

Blogger Rae said...

Whew! Great job on the long run! 54 miles is awesome!

4/05/2006 10:03 PM  
Blogger E-Speed said...

I think 54 is the furthest I've ever gone in a week too. Great Job!

4/06/2006 2:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home