Monday, March 06, 2006

Improving Weather

facing the wind
above the snow covered pond
a black hawk floats

Thursday, the weather warmed just slightly. There was a forecast of snow and the weather radar showed what looked like a small snowstorm making its way towards Boston. So I got out on the roads on the early side of lunchtime and got my 10 miles in. I noticed a medium sized pond along my course was completely covered in snow. Then I saw a black hawk (at least I think it was a hawk) just floating on the wind. It never did snow. No complaints here.

Friday was a day off. Usually that means cross-training and an ab workout, but it was Anita's birthday and I had a little bit of shopping to do at lunchtime. I took a total day of rest (no workout at all).

Saturday morning, I did an easy run out to Fresh Pond. Still pretty chilly in the morning. By the afternoon, though, the weather was feeling pretty nice. I think it warmed up to about 40F.

along the river bank
jagged sheets of ice
creak and crunch

After a day off on Friday and an easy run on Saturday, I was ready for my medium long run scheduled for Sunday. Once again, it was fairly chilly in the morning and I dressed appropriately for the weather. When I left the house, it was about 29 or 30F. Down by the Charles River, the wind picks up and can feel quite brisk when running into it. All in all, though, it was quite a good run. I ran to the river (just under a mile), then did the 10.2 mile loop from the Elliot Street bridge to the Science Museum and back, then the 2.9 mile loop from the Elliot Street bridge to the Western Ave. bridge., and finally back home. Total distance was 15 miles. And surprising myself, I averaged under 9:10 for the entire run. And this was run in running pants, long sleeve shirt and jacket. I can't wait to get out in the warmer weather in shorts and t-shirt again.

What a contrast to last week's miserable run. I went 1 mile further and did the whole thing 7 minutes faster. I'm feeling pretty good about this training program I'm following (Pete Pfitzinger's for anyone interested). I feel stronger already. If things continue to improve like this, I think I'll be seeing that PR at my next marathon.

C-Ya

3 Comments:

Blogger D said...

I love hawks! What specific changes have you made to your training routine to make you feel stronger and quicker? Nice job on the long run!

3/06/2006 1:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's shaving a lot of time off the run. Glad things are progressing so well.

3/07/2006 3:24 AM  
Blogger Kurt in Boston said...

DGC - The biggest difference in the training so far is more intense mid-week runs. In my prior training I might do a maximum of 8 or 9 miles on a Tuesday (hills or intervals), then maybe 6 to 8 on Thursday (tempo) and a long run on Sunday (easy 4 mile runs in between). Today, I will do a 9 mile tempo run (4 miles at 15K pace), and Thursday I will do a 10 mile run and Saturday will be 17 (there will be two easy 5 mile runs this week as well). And I'm just in the first phase of training -- I've still got 10 weeks to go yet.

3/07/2006 8:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home