Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Doesn't Get Much Better Than This

I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately,
to front only the essential facts of life,
and see if I could not learn what it had to teach,
and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.

- Henry David Thoreau

Ever since moving here I've been looking forward to making this post. Oh yeah.

Today I ran to Walden Pond.

It's a beautiful 60 degrees and sunny out. I ran the Minute Man trail about a mile to route 2A then followed 2A to route 2. The next half mile or so along route 2 were pretty crappy (very busy), but then I turned into the Walden Pond state park and hit the trails around the lake. It was absolutely gorgeous. Sunshine glimmering on the lake, hills of pine trees reflecting off the water, the occasional light breeze. Perfect.

I briefly stopped by the site of Thoreau's cabin. So quiet and peaceful. Then it was back to the trails. It's about 2 miles around the lake and I went around twice (plus a bit more). I saw probably 15 or so people out there. Some were hiking, some were fishing. There was a single boat out in the middle of the lake.

To avoid route 2 on the way back, and to add a couple more miles, I headed towards Concord. About a half mile from the Walden Pond park is the Concord "Town Woods", another lovely forested area criss-crossed with trails. Those trails took me into Concord and then I eventually found my way to Lexington Avenue, which took me back to the Minute Man National Park where I picked up the trail back to my workplace.

12 miles of bliss.

OK, I'll whine about one thing. There were a lot of bugs flying around down by the water at Walden Pond. I think I swallowed a couple.

To recap the first part of the week, Monday was a needed rest/recovery day (after Sunday's 18 miler), and Tuesday was another recovery day - an easy 6 miler with 6 X 100m strideouts. This will be another big mileage week, but with runs like today's, I'm not complaining.

C-Ya

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

ooohhh....good post. you reminded me there is a new route i want to try. i'll do it tomorrow. must vary my routes!!! thanks. and nice run!

3/29/2006 8:32 PM  
Blogger E-Speed said...

glad you had a good run (even though it was a bit buggy)

sounds like you are getting in some good quality miles!

3/29/2006 9:39 PM  
Blogger Rae said...

Very cool! I bet it was beautiful!

3/30/2006 10:22 PM  
Blogger D said...

You have really been getting some serious mileage in lately! Eating bugs sucks...yet another thing I dread about warm weather running. What marathon are you training for? I couldn't tell from your sidebar.

3/31/2006 10:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home