Friday, March 10, 2006

A couple not-so-slow runs.

Wednesday was a recovery run. I did 5 miles easy on the trails near work (Minute Man National Park). It was nice to get off the roads for a bit. It also seemed like I was going way to fast. I was trying to really hold back but I still ended up running too fast. I guess that's a good thing that I now have to consciously run slower on my recovery runs. I'm hoping that means I really am making some progress. It seems like it when I look at runs like I had the next day.

Thursday was a medium run of 10 miles. I just focused on maintaining a consistent pace. Not too fast, but I didn't allow myself to slack off either. Time was 1:29:40. That's 8:58 per mile. It felt wonderful.

Today (Friday) is a recovery day so I did an ab workout and some rowing at lunchtime. Most of the soreness from yesterday is gone now. Tomorrow will be an easy 5 in the morning, then 17 on Sunday. Weather looks to be great this weekend!

And on my reading project...

Thanks, everyone, for the suggestions (so far). My reading list for the remainder of the year currently looks as follows (still subject to change at whim):

Already read:
Melville - Moby Dick
Fitzgerald - The Great Gatsby

Currently reading:
Joyce - Dubliners (short stories)

Next up:
Joyce - Ulysses (want to read this prior to the 23rd Unabridged Edition of the James Joyce Ramble 10K in Dedham, Mass.)

The remaining will be read in chronological order:

Swift - Gullivers Travels
Austen - Pride and Prejudice
Bronte - Wuthering Heights
Hawthorne - The Scarlet Letter
Eliot - Middlemarch
Faulkner - The Sound and the Fury
Hemmingway - A Farewell to Arms
Orwell - 1984
O'Connor - Wise Blood
Nabokov - Lolita
Pynchon - The Crying of Lot 49

[Hmm. Interesting lineup for the summer. I may have to intersperse a couple more modern works in there.]

And I'm still taking suggestions for important English/American narratives to include (though the queue is starting to get a little long now).

2 Comments:

Blogger Rae said...

Great job with the running and the reading!

I love that you're going to read Joyce before a Joyce themed run!

We read the House of 7 Gables before we went to visit it on vacation a few years ago. Love it!

3/12/2006 9:52 AM  
Blogger ida said...

I'll join you with the next one... I've been "reading" it for two years now! I'd like to wrap it by June.

3/14/2006 10:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home