Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Weekend in NYC (Part 2)

I didn't mean to keep everyone in suspense, I've just been very busy the last two days. So what happened?

We woke up Sunday morning to way more snow than we thought we'd get. Yes, it was a blizzard. And I began to realize that I was probably not going to get to run in Central Park. Later in the morning, they reported that Central Park already had almost 2 feet of snow. Snowshoes would have been appropriate. Yak-traks on my running shoes really weren't going to cut it.

I really hate missing a long run - under circumstances I cannot control - on the first week of a training plan. But, one learns to deal with these kinds of things. And I've got plenty of time before the next marathon.

Once the snow let up, we decided to go back into the city. Here's what we found outside Anja's apartment:

Anyone up for a ride?

No, I didn't think so.

So we took the very-crowded-for-a-Sunday subway to Union Center (Square?). There were actually quite a few people out and about. We mostly just walked around, stopped for coffee, and made a stop at the Whole Foods market.

By the time the storm had passed, it had dumped 27 inches of snow on the city. Biggest snowfall in something like a century. So now the HUGE question was - are we going to be able to get back to Boston tonight? ('cause we really didn't want to spend another night there) After checking traffic reports along the route through Connecticut and into Boston, it appeared the highways were getting cleared pretty quickly. We left the city around 8:00 pm. The highways were probably the worst right around the city, and they got better as we approached Boston. We did have to keep the speed down, and it took us about 5 hours. We got home around 1 am. Now, we really appreciate the service our landlords provide. They pay for snow removal. We got home and the driveway had already been plowed - the only one on the street. Sweet.

Anyway, since I missed my medium-long run on Sunday, and didn't really want to screw up my schedule too much for this week, I decided to just run easy on Monday (originally schedule for a rest day). I did 4 miles on the treadmill.

Yesterday (Tuesday) was a harder workout, and fortunately the streets are all pretty clear of snow and ice. I ran from work out to Concord (town center) and back, then did 10 X 100m strideouts near the airport. Total of 9 miles. Sorry, no haiku.

Today will be a recovery/cross-training day.



Blogger runninturnip said...

Growing up in upstate NY I always loved visiting the city, just a 1.5 hour train ride away! Glad your having fun.
BTW - your beer can method for the knee worked great! hee hee :)

2/15/2006 9:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for stopping by the other day and for your comment. I especially appreciated the thought about there being few career ending injuries. When we're injured we do tend to develop a kind of paranoia. Your suggestions come from a wealth of experience I have yet to develop. The phrase that has stuck with me most is the "we get creative."

2/15/2006 10:41 AM  
Blogger E-Speed said...

awesome snow pics. glad you made it back to boston safely!

2/15/2006 4:09 PM  
Blogger Rae said...

HA! I love the pic of the bike in the snow. I don't think THAT is going to work!!

Hasn't the weather been wild lately??

2/19/2006 10:06 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home