Thursday, February 23, 2006

A Warm Day and then Back to Normal

in the stillness
of the bare woods
- a woodpecker raps

After last Sunday's run I was in need of a rest day. So after finishing up some touch-up painting at the house, I spent half the day traveling back to Boston. And now I have one more airline to add to the list of carriers I will not patronize anymore. U.S. Airways got me into Kansas City 45 minutes late last Friday. We left Kansas City over an hour late on Monday. In Philadelphia I had to run from my gate in the F concourse to catch a shuttle bus to the B concourse to get my connection to Boston. Of course my luggage did not make the connection. I indicated I wanted them to deliver the bag the next morning. They called at midnight to tell me they were leaving it on my front porch that night. Brilliant.

Tuesday was a "Lactacte Threshold" run (LT). 8 miles total, with 4 miles in the middle at about an 8:30 per mile pace. I was whipped after that one. But the weather was absolutely beautiful. I wore shorts and a T-shirt for that run.

Wednesday the weather was chilly again and it was back to the long sleeve tech. shirt. As the majority of our recent snow has melted, I took the opportunity to run my easy "recovery" run on the trails by work. It's been a while since I've run them and it felt great to be out there. As soon as I stepped into the woods there, everything just sort of went still and quiet. The stillness was broken by a woodpecker above my head rapping on a maple. Very nice run. Very easy.

Today (Thursday) was a bit longer medium run. 10 miles out to Concord (and beyond) and then back. Judging by the locker room clock, pace was about 9:30 (I forgot my watch).

ice encasing trees
slowly melts
... and cracks

4 Comments:

Anonymous Uncle from Oakton said...

I really enjoy your blogs Kurt.

2/23/2006 11:58 PM  
Blogger Tammy said...

Oh, I love it when nature joins me on a run. Like running along the canal as the geese fly in the same direction.. there's that moment where you feel connected. It's the best. :)

2/24/2006 12:29 AM  
Blogger runninturnip said...

My long weekend trail runs are alway the highlight of my week. They are hard but just being out by yourself with only the birds to listen too is so peaceful.
You are also not the first person I have heard horror stories about USAirlines, I don't think I will fly with them either.

2/24/2006 12:36 PM  
Blogger E-Speed said...

flying can be such a pain sometimes. Hope all your stuff made it to you safely.

2/27/2006 2:06 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home