Thursday, February 23, 2006

A Warm Day and then Back to Normal

in the stillness
of the bare woods
- a woodpecker raps

After last Sunday's run I was in need of a rest day. So after finishing up some touch-up painting at the house, I spent half the day traveling back to Boston. And now I have one more airline to add to the list of carriers I will not patronize anymore. U.S. Airways got me into Kansas City 45 minutes late last Friday. We left Kansas City over an hour late on Monday. In Philadelphia I had to run from my gate in the F concourse to catch a shuttle bus to the B concourse to get my connection to Boston. Of course my luggage did not make the connection. I indicated I wanted them to deliver the bag the next morning. They called at midnight to tell me they were leaving it on my front porch that night. Brilliant.

Tuesday was a "Lactacte Threshold" run (LT). 8 miles total, with 4 miles in the middle at about an 8:30 per mile pace. I was whipped after that one. But the weather was absolutely beautiful. I wore shorts and a T-shirt for that run.

Wednesday the weather was chilly again and it was back to the long sleeve tech. shirt. As the majority of our recent snow has melted, I took the opportunity to run my easy "recovery" run on the trails by work. It's been a while since I've run them and it felt great to be out there. As soon as I stepped into the woods there, everything just sort of went still and quiet. The stillness was broken by a woodpecker above my head rapping on a maple. Very nice run. Very easy.

Today (Thursday) was a bit longer medium run. 10 miles out to Concord (and beyond) and then back. Judging by the locker room clock, pace was about 9:30 (I forgot my watch).

ice encasing trees
slowly melts
... and cracks

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really enjoy your blogs Kurt.

2/23/2006 11:58 PM  
Blogger Tammy said...

Oh, I love it when nature joins me on a run. Like running along the canal as the geese fly in the same direction.. there's that moment where you feel connected. It's the best. :)

2/24/2006 12:29 AM  
Blogger E-Speed said...

flying can be such a pain sometimes. Hope all your stuff made it to you safely.

2/27/2006 2:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home