Thursday, February 09, 2006

The North Bridge

By the rude bridge that arched the flood,
Their flag to April's breeze unfurled;
Here once the embattled farmers stood;
And fired the shot heard round the world.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Today's 9 mile American History run took me out past the Sleepy Hollow Cemetary (where I spent a few minutes the other day) to the "North Bridge" (North of the Concord town center) and the "Old Manse". I crossed over the (reconstructed) bridge to the spot where the Concord farmers took their stand against the advancing British army. After a few moments reflection I returned back over the bridge to where a portion of the British army had advanced. It was from this area that the militiamen turned back the British (who had advanced from Lexington where the literal "first shot" was fired earlier in the day). Collectively the Battles of Lexington and Concord are considered the first battles of the Revolutionary War. To the Southeast stands the "Old Manse" where William (?) Emerson, grandfather of Ralph Waldo Emerson, lived and allegedly witnessed the event. Ralph Waldo Emerson is said to have penned the Concord Hymn (for the dedication of the monument) at the "Old Manse".

It was a little under 4 1/2 miles to the bridge, so I added another loop up the road to make sure I hit 9 miles total by the time I got back to work. Temperature was in the mid 20's, but fortunately very little breeze. It was another lovely run, and here's another haiku inspired by a meadow nearby my work.

cattails held still
in a yellow ochre meadow
...glints of sunlight

1 Comments:

Blogger ida said...

Mid 20s?

Ouch. I just heard our forecast calls for morning frost and I mentally cancelled my early run. I am a WIMP!

2/09/2006 10:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home