Sunday, January 22, 2006

Recovery Week

Post-race recovery is starting to get boring. I'd like to get out and run more, but I know I need to really take it easy. My right adductor was tight in the weeks leading up to the marathon, and while it didn't hurt at all during the marathon, I've been feeling it a bit more ever since.

There was no running on Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday. On Thursday I went for a very easy 2 mile run. By 2 miles, I could feel it in my quads, that lingering soreness. And my adductor was pretty tight throughout the whole 2 miles.

Friday I did some ab work and then cycled for a while (no running), and then no running on Saturday (which was too bad since the weather was so nice).

Sunday morning I did 3 miles to Fresh Pond, around it and back home. The adductor sitch is improving but I could still feel it through much of the run. This next week I plan to run every other day, and nothing fast or far. I do need this muscle to heal so I can start building up my base for my next cycle.

And what's next? Haven't nailed it down yet, but I'm seriously thinking about doing Grandma's Marathon in Duluth next June. If the healing process takes too long, though, I'll probably just do some shorter races later this Spring and then gear up for a Fall marathon.

Still working on my post-race analysis and will post on that soon. I'm also working on a major update to the design of this blog (new original graphics).

- Kurt

3 Comments:

Blogger D said...

I wish I had the ability to do my own original design work. Looking forward to the new look. Nice photos, by the way.

Re Grandmas, I just sent my appl in. I haven't even begun to look at hotels. It sounds like that may be problematic. We plan to drive there so we may be able to stay a little farther away. I'll let you know what I find. Let me know if you have any luck.

1/23/2006 2:27 PM  
Blogger Tammy said...

by abductor are you referring to your IT Band? If so, check out Miss Foam. Seems to be working great for Bolder!

1/23/2006 5:36 PM  
Blogger Kurt in Boston said...

It's the adductor (groin to inside of thigh). My tightness seems to be limited to an area on the inside of the thigh. I did have a full blown groin pull years ago -- six months of no running! Don't want to go there again.

I also had IT band issues last year, but worked through it.

Someday I'm going to post my "littany of injuries" -- what injuries I've had, how they affected my running, how I got through them. I think it could be informative.

1/23/2006 9:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home