Monday, January 09, 2006

New Year's Day

I've got a busy day planned for New Year's Day.

First things first - a 14-mile run. As we've had a couple inches of snow, I'm anxious to try out my new Yak-Trax. I stretch them over my shoes and have a nice run on the mostly snow-packed trail along the Charles River. After a nice hot bath, it's time to start cooking.

The tradition in our house for years has been homemade Swedish Potato Sausage (Korv), cooked red cabbage with apples, and a veritable smorgasbord of meats, cheeses, breads and cookies. And of course, coffee! We really dig into our Scandinavian roots. Some of my favorite childhood memories are of New Year's Day at my grandmother's house, the smell of potato sausage absolutely permeating the house. You see, she made it by hand. Ground up the onions, potatoes, beef and spices in a hand-cranked grinder, stuffed the sausage casings and simmered them for about an hour (I'll post a recipe if anyone's interested). Of course, she also made the best cookies: various Danish-style butter cookies and Joulutortut (Finnish Star pastries). There was also her "Danish Dessert" (a Danish raspberry jello with graham cracker crust - not really very ethnic, but a favorite). So for the last dozen years or so, I've taken on the New Year's Day tradition.

Except this year, with the move and all, I didn't have time to find sausage casings (or even buy some Korv). But, in keeping with our Scandinavian roots, I substituted a couple of fish platters (fresh salmon and smoked bluefish -- living on the coast does have its advantages). Also didn't have time to find the Danish Dessert, but we did find a Finnish bakery in Jamaica Plain ("Sweet Finnish") where we bought some Finnish Stars.

I spent my "cooking time" making Pulla (a sweet Finnish bread), some Danishes, and the red cabbage. A very long and relaxing New Year's Day feast then ensued. Next year the potato sausage and "Danish Dessert" will return.

And it's now a new year, with all manner of possibilities as we settle into a new house in a new city. We look forward to finding our niches in the community here and to everyone who will come to Cambridge and share some time with us in the coming years (despite the smaller house, we'll make room for our guests).

Happy New Year!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home