Wednesday, December 07, 2005

A Tough Easy Week - Part 2

Sunday. Plan is 22 miles. I've just spent all day Saturday moving from temporary living into the new house (we are renting, not buying -- not a good time to buy in the Boston area -- maybe in a year or so). I wake up Sunday morning to snow. It looks like about an inch on the ground and it is snowing. It's quite pretty.

I take my time getting up and getting some pre-run breakfast. If I'm rushed, I'll just eat a Clif bar, but this morning I toast a bagel, make some coffee, have a banana, and also the Clif bar. An hour later I'm putting on running pants and a jacket over a thin long sleeve running shirt. It's still snowing. Might be up to about 2 inches now. Out the door and I head for the Charles River trails. I can't believe how many runners are out here in the snow. Sorry to say, in the Kansas City area, this kind of weather would keep many runners indoors. Boston runners are awesome! I'm inspired. Reminds me of one of my favorite running quotes:

"There is no such thing as inclement weather. Only timid souls."

It snows almost the entire time I am running. The only problem I have is my gloves. They're those white cotton gloves and by about mile 18, they are soaked and my hands are getting COLD. By mile 19 I can't take it anymore and pull the gloves off and stuff them in my pocket. But my hands are still wet and cold and are just freezing. I head back to the house. I put the gloves half-way on to sort of act like mittens (keeping my fingers together), but it doesn't help too much. And to make matters worse, I make a wrong turn in my own neighborhood (hey, I just moved in, I don't know all these streets yet). After backtracking a couple blocks I make it home, burning cold hands and all. The only thing that remains is to fill the tub with hot water and relax. Ahhh.

20 miles in the snow. 44 miles for the week.

2 Comments:

Blogger D said...

I love your quote about the timid souls! I'd be out running in this stuff if I wasn't injured! Yes, the KC roads are typically void of runners during this season (well...I guess technically we are still in Autumn...so I mean Winter.)

Sounds like you had a nice long run despite the frozen hands! Ugh.

12/08/2005 2:18 PM  
Blogger E-Speed said...

awesome job! sounds like you need better gloves for christmas!

12/12/2005 5:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home