Wednesday, December 07, 2005

A Tough Easy Week - Part 1

After easing up a bit Thanksgiving week, I was ready for a good hard week of running. My plan was another 50+ mile week with a 22 mile long run on Sunday.

So I took Monday off to make sure I was good and ready for a solid week of good running. I mean, really, even though last week was a little easier, I had still just run 18 miles on Sunday afternoon. I probably could have done an easy recovery type run on Monday, but we were so busy getting the house ready for the big move.

Then I missed Tuesday's workout. I was working from home Tuesday morning, and had an afternoon flight, and things just sort of piled up, and I never made it out the door. And Tuesday night traveling turned into a nightmare.

It started with the layover in Cincinnati. Flight to Boston was delayed. Arrived in Boston after midnight. (Sure hope the T is still running) I think my bag was the last one off the aircraft. Shuttle bus to the T, of course, has to stop at every terminal. As I'm buying my subway ticket, a woman there says, "You know the last train leaves at 12:36." It's 12:27. I make the Blue line (of course I still have to transfer to the Green line for one stop, then to the Red line to get home). No hitches on the Green, but must have waited 15 minutes for the Red (yeah, I was getting worried). Got the last Red line to Alewife station. It's about 1:30 a.m. and I still need to walk to the new house where I've parked the car, and drive back to the apartment. And they've already locked the street access doors at the station, so I take the elevator up to the parking garage, then stairs down to the street level (all baggage still in tow). Just a little creepy that late at night. Now I walk to the house where I've parked the car and discover someone has parked in the driveway blocking my exit. It's 2:00 a.m. Well, I have the keys to the new place so I figure maybe I can sleep there. If I'm in luck, the previous occupants (owners) have left their futon. Nope. I get maybe four hours of sleep on a pile of my clothes on the hard wood floors. At 7:00 a.m. I'm knocking on the downstairs door and asking them to please move their car. The woman was quite apologetic (didn't realize I was moving in and figured she could use my driveway). Finally get to the apartment, get cleaned up, drag myself to work. It's Wednesday now and I am NOT going to miss another workout. After work I do a 7 mile interval workout on the treadmill (2 mile warmup, 5 X 1000m at 10K pace, 2 minute recovery between each, 1 mile cooldown). I sleep very well in my own bed that night.

Thursday I get back out on the trails at work. 6 miles easy. Friday I do my typical tempo run on the same trails: 2 miles easy, 2 miles at tempo pace, 1 mile easy, 2 miles tempo pace, 1 mile cool down. 8 miles. Friday evening I start moving some of my stuff to the new house.

Saturday is spent mostly moving my junk from my temporary living into the new house. It takes 5 trips in the Pathfinder. It's pretty cold and windy, but I really want to go for a run from the new house. I now live maybe 2 blocks from Fresh Pond where there is a 2.25 mile loop around the pond. 3 miles easy to Fresh Pond, around it plus a little bit more, and back home. Total so far this week is 24 miles. Plan was for 22 miles on Sunday.

Sunday. Well I'll leave that to the next post 'cause that was just "special".


Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home