Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Things Are Getting Crazy With The Big Move

Here's the rundown on my running of late...

After taking Monday off, on Tuesday I did intervals on a treadmill. Total was 8 miles. Wednesday was an easy 4 miles, and then Thursday I did a tempo run -- 9 miles.

Friday was supposed to be an easy day. I had a 12:15 flight to Kansas City and figured I could easily get a 4 miler in. Weather made other plans for me. I woke up to snow. It snowed all the way to work. I was snowing when I left work to head for the airport. By the time I reached the airport, it had turned to rain. Got to the ticket counter (breathless because I thought I was running extremely late) only to find the flight had been delayed 3 hours.

I was sitting in the lounge by the gate working on my laptop when they made an announcement about another flight being delayed until they could plow the runways again. I turned around and saw nothing by white. Within minutes they had closed the airport. The inbound plane that was to take us to Kansas City was diverted to Albany. The "good news" was that they expected the storm to clear soon. Eventually it did and at 5:00pm they reopened the airport. Waited for the flight from Albany to arrive. We finally left at almost 8:00 pm -- a 7+ hour delay. Arrived in Kansas City after 10:00 pm, home around 11:00. A little late for a run (plus it was about 12 degrees F). So I missed that one.

I was in Lawrence Kansas for my daughter's graduation (Rock Chalk Jayhawks, Go KU), and she planned a dinner for Saturday. By Saturday afternoon it was warming up to about the mid-40's. I wasn't planning a long run this weekend but rather a couple of Mid-distance runs, and after discussing possible routes with daughter's boyfriend, decided on a 10-mile hill workout. I headed to Bob Billings Parkway, out to the end and back. In my opinion, this route would be a good hill workout -- FOR A CYCLIST! Yeah, I got a good workout (it felt good).

Sunday was mostly taken up with saying goodbye to friends, as well as the graduation, and I missed my workout. That means I only got 31 miles in for the week.

Monday I had to work all day to finish up everything I needed to do to the house before we left it. The house hasn't sold, we've rented a place in Massachusetts, the movers have emptied the house, everything will have to get squeezed into our new digs on Friday, and we're just a little nervous about leaving the house unoccupied (though our son will still be in Lawrence and will be checking up on it). So no workout and I fell into bed (sleeping bag on air mattress) exhausted.

Tuesday began early with my flight to Boston (no glitches), then straight off to work. I was able to do my interval workout in the evening (4 X 1 mile at marathon tempo with 3 minute recovery, plus 2 mile warmup and 2 mile cooldown, for 9 miles total).

Wednesday (this evening) got in an easy 4-miler.

Tomorrow I need to prepare the house for the movers (Where the hell is everything going to go?). Wife and son begin the drive out tomorrow as well (daughter flies out next week with the cat). A lot going on and this is supposed to be a heavy mileage week. Tomorrow's tempo run shouldn't be a problem, and as long as I get in my long run this weekend, I'll be doing OK. The running does help keep the stress down to a manageable level. ... at least so far.

1 Comments:

Blogger ida said...

Wow... how can you keep up? That's living at a rapid clip and yet you still find time to log some serious miles. Good job.

12/16/2005 12:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home