Sunday, November 20, 2005

Two Times Ten is Twenty

After an easy 3-miler on Saturday, today was the first 20-miler of this marathon cycle. Not bad. Not entirely comfortable, but not bad. Total miles this week was 52.

I didn't take the time to plan out a single 20 mile course, so I did a 10 mile loop twice. The only bad thing about doing a 10 mile lap twice is that after the first lap, you're kind of tired. And the car is right there. And you start thinking, "why am I doing this?". Anyway, forced myself onwards along the second lap. This was a loop along the Charles River between the Arsenal Bridge and the Harvard Bridge.

I tried a new energy gel on this run. I'd been using Clif Shots but Marathon Sports doesn't carry a very good selection of flavors. My favorite for late in a run, like around 15 miles or so, was always Cola Buzz (something like that). Even though I don't drink sodas, I actually like the cola taste. I seem to be able to handle it after that many miles (unlike the fruit flavors, or vanilla). At the San Diego marathon, they had Power Gels, so the month before that marathon I switched. They were OK. Today I tried GU. The first one, at around 10 miles, was orange flavored. I thought it worked pretty well. Not as sickly sweet as the Clif Shot Orange Cream. At 15 miles I tried the Espresso. I don't know if was the flavor, or my stomach shutting down. Not so good. I'd also been drinking diluted Gatorade until that point, but dumped the remainder and just drank water the rest of the way. Felt pretty rundown by 20 miles.

After stretching for a bit in the back end of the Pathfinder, and changing into a sweatshirt and pants, drove into Cambridge for an afternoon brunch. I ended up walking around a couple more miles which actually helped my legs recover, then had brunch at Zoe's. Great food, lousy service. Took some pictures around Cambridge to show our friends at Thanksgiving. I'm really looking forward to Thanksgiving with our dear friends and family. Usually Thanksgiving is at our house, but since we're in the middle of moving to Cambridge, our Canadian friends from Iowa, eh, have invited us all up to their place this year. It will be a great time of feasting and sharing music with each other. I wonder if there's a Turkey Trot/5K in Cedar Rapids, Iowa this Thanksgiving?

C-Ya

4 Comments:

Blogger E-Speed said...

Good job on the 20-miler. I try to avoid anything where you have the option of bailing in the middle. Way to stick it out!

11/21/2005 10:55 AM  
Blogger ida said...

Great job with the 20 miles!

The world is indeed a better place thanks to people who live with compassion. The Philo quote came into my life at a rough time and has completely transformed my outlook. Glad I could share it with you!

11/21/2005 5:45 PM  
Blogger D said...

Nice job on the 20 miler. Hope you had a nice Thanksgiving!

11/25/2005 9:18 PM  
Blogger Kurt in Boston said...

Thanks everyone.

I remember the first time I ran 20 miles. I had only run 10 miles a couple times in my life and I started the progression that would lead to three 20 mile runs and my first marathon. I ran 12 miles and was exhausted. I couldn't imagine running 26.2, but I could imagine 14. Next time I ran 14. I couldn't imagine 26.2, but I could imagine 16. You can see how this goes. I never thought beyond the next increase. After several 20 mile runs you realize, yeah, I can do this 26.2 mile thing.

12/01/2005 12:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home