Wednesday, November 09, 2005

This Is Why I Run

Tuesday's run had to have been one of the best runs I've ever had. Certainly a top ten.

After my long run (18 miles) last Saturday I was pretty beat. My short run Sunday evening helped work some stiffness out but I was still pretty tired. So Monday was supposed to be an easy day. I went 6 miles at an easy pace. Tuesday I planned a tempo run of 7 or 8 miles and was worried I had not rested enough. But...

At lunchtime on Tuesday I started out along the Minute Man park trails with 2 easy miles to warm up. In the second mile I did 3 strides (accelerated to a fast pace, held it for a brief time, then slowed down again). Next I did 2 miles at "tempo" pace. Everything just felt perfect. On the downhills I felt like I was just gliding, feet barely touching the ground. On the uphills I lifted my knees a bit higher, shortened my stride and quickened my leg turnover. Finished the 2 miles in about 16:40 and did not feel at all beat, just invigorated. After another relaxing mile (about 10 min pace), I did another 2 mile "tempo". Same as the first 2 mile tempo, though by the end my legs were feeling a bit tired. 16:30. [Note: according to my co-workers, my 2-mile segments were probably a bit more than 2 miles so I would have been doing close to an 8:00/mile pace. Whatever.] I never felt aerobically taxed or out of breath. I ended with another easy mile for a total of 8 miles and one of the best runs I can remember in a long time.

Adapting my stride to the terrain, pushing my body, leaning against my aerobic limits but never overexerting, moving quickly through the brisk air, the musty smells, and the golden leaves of Autumn. At one with the world around me.

This is why I run.

3 Comments:

Blogger E-Speed said...

You have to love those kind of runs! Great job!

11/09/2005 1:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did Anita being there have any thing to do with you're being more relaxed?

11/09/2005 2:20 PM  
Blogger Kurt in Boston said...

Of course I was totally dragging through today's easy 4 miler. It goes in cycles.

11/09/2005 11:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home