Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Pain Behind Knee Almost Gone

...but tendonitis below and outside the knee still making its presence felt.

After last Sunday's race, I had quite a knotted up calf -- I was feeling pain behind my knee (and stubborn me went for a second run that evening). But icing it and stretching it (quite often) over the next day or so really improved it. I took Monday off completely.

On Tuesday, ran 7 miles (tempo run). I could feel the muscle "knot" but it was much less intense. It just felt like it needed to be stretched out. I based my tempo pace off of the 5K I just ran. My guidance was that tempo pace should be about 30 seconds per mile slower than 5K pace. I ran the 5K at an average 7:47 pace so I figured 8:15 pace would be good. Well, it turned out to be an 8:24 pace, but that was fine. Plus I added another mile to my usual tempo run. I did a 2 mile warmup, then 2 miles at tempo pace, an easy mile, then another mile at tempo pace, and a 1 mile cooldown. I realized I had been running my tempo runs too fast (closer to an 8:00 pace) -- and I don't think I could have run the 3rd mile at that pace, but at 8:24 it was quite doable. Oh, and all three tempo pace miles were right at 8:24 (and I don't monitor my time as I'm running, I just take the mile splits). Very even pace. Very good workout.

Today, Wednesday, was another easy day -- 4 miles. The knot in my calf is pretty much gone. The tendonitis is still there, however. And I still do not feel it at all during or after running -- even with mild hills. Only if I kneel on the left knee, or lift my left leg at least 90 degrees and rotate the leg (eg. sitting cross-leg with my left foot on my right knee). I'm trying to avoid any movements that bring on the pain. So far I can't tell if it's improving, but I've avoided the sharp pain for several days now.

Tomorrow will be a hill workout. But since I'm avoiding downhill running, it will have to be on the treadmill. At least the changing incline makes it interesting (I otherwise hate treadmill running).

C-Ya

3 Comments:

Blogger a.maria said...

omg you're my new hero!! thanks for the advice. i wasn't serious about the surgeon... but seriously. the whole injury thing is a little old. i'm ready to be healed.

anyway. thanks again!

11/04/2005 11:10 PM  
Blogger ida said...

I can identify. My right knee has bothered me for the past three weeks. Such a bummer!

As for the camera question, I snap shots on the fly with both my Treo phone and a nifty 7.2 megapixel Sony camera. With the holidays fast approaching, a lot of tiny digital cameras are making their way to market.

11/05/2005 2:32 PM  
Blogger Kurt in Boston said...

MMMMM, pancakes. Making a batch right now after my long run.

Pnut - thanks for the info!

11/05/2005 2:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home