Sunday, October 16, 2005

Long run -- no rain

Sunday long run: 14 miles. After ten days of rain it was wonderful to wake up this morning to a clear sky. Temperature was in the low 50's, and it was a bit breezy, but almost ideal conditions for a long run.

Drove to Watertown, to the Mt. Auburn bridge where I started my run. Two miles into my run I realized I had left my PowerGel in the car. Oh well, at least my water bottle had a 50/50 mixture of Gatorade and water. The additional energy would have to do. A few miles later I found myself running among some straggling walkers for a local "Race for the Cure" run/walk. The further I went, the denser the walkers got. By the time I reached the Harvard Bridge and made my turn back to Watertown, the walkers were so thick they were clogging the path. "Who let these people onto my path!" It was nice though having the occasional cheerleader encouraging me ("And I'm not even wearing any pink ribbons."). I finally reached their turn-off and ran the remainder of my run by myself.

After 2 hours of running (I was probably doing just a little under 10 minute miles -- maybe 9:45) I picked up the pace for a while. For the next 10 minutes or so I pushed myself a bit to maybe a sub-9:00 pace. I finished the 14 miles in about 2:19, which included numerous stops for traffic (and a bit of zig-zagging around walkers). Could feel a bit of lactic acid build-up.
After stretching a bit, and driving back to the apartment, my legs were just feeling a little tired. In the afternoon, I walked around Harvard Square for a bit and by the evening my legs felt great again. I feel like I'm getting my "far" legs back. But I think the "fast" legs may be a while coming back.

Then there's the knee pain. Feels fine when I run, walk, climb stairs -- just about everything. Except when I kneel on my left knee, or lift it and twist my leg. Then I feel a sharp tearing pain below and on the outer side of my knee. I'm trying not to do that for a while and see if it improves. At this point there doesn't seem to be any correlation with running. Let's hope it stays that way.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home